At Tentacle we take coding standards very seriously. A good set of coding standards are important in any software development project. These standards are even more important when Tentacle develop large scaled projects.
The software a company that has good coding practices produces will not only have great features and performance, but the quality of its source code will be excellent.
So, what exactly are coding standards? They should be seen as a collection of rules and guidelines that all developers in a software company must swear by. These rules and guidelines determine the programming style, procedures, and methods used in all the code that company produces.
Without these coding conventions, the code written by a large software company like Tentacle, will be littered with individual coding styles. This will result in code that will not be easy to maintain and debug.
Benefits of coding standards
- better team integration
- better code quality
- better for maintaining
- better for reducing code complexity
- better for reducing development cost
Coding rules and guidelines ensure that software is:
- Safe: It can be used without causing harm.
- Secure: It can’t be hacked.
- Reliable: It functions as it should, every time.
- Testable: It can be tested at the code level.
- Maintainable: It can be maintained, even as your codebase grows.
- Portable: It works the same in every environment.